1 Clay Lane (Clay Lane Cottage) is shown on the 1792 map. In 1839, it was described as Clay Lane House, owned by Thomas Pooll and occupied by James Rodaway. By 1841, William Rodaway, farmer, and his family were living at the property. In 1851 and 1861, the house was occupied by James Huntley, farmer of 30 acres and his family.
Auction Sale 13 Nov 1973 – Called Clay Lane ‘Cottage’ Included adjoining barn (Title commenced with conveyance from Percy John Fussell to Ida Maud Fussell dated 15 Feb 1957). Vendor Ida Maud Fussell – £22,500 withdrawn (handwritten)
2 Clay Lane (Clay Lane House) This house used to be called Inglenook. Paul Stacey believed it was built in the 1860s by Edward Silcocks as it has his characteristic brackets to the gutters near the roof and stonework over the door. By 1881, Benjamin Hancock, dairyman, was living here. At some time during his residency, he carved his name in one of the downstairs windows of the house and it is still here. Prior to 1919, the property was owned by Charles Humphrey Carden Noad, along with the disused brickyard on Rode Common. (He inherited these properties from the Arthur Mayne Noad estate in 1882). Charles H C Noad sold the property in 1919 to Percy John Fussell and it belonged to Ida Fussell by 1957, according to the Abstract of the Title. The house still retains many nice features, including the old flagstone floor in the dining room, old beams and stone mullioned windows.
Five Gables was built from the barn which once belonged to Clay Lane Farm.