Shawford Farm

[Extract from “History of Some of the Old Buildings in Rode” by Dawna Pine, second edition]:

Shawford Farmhouse is listed as early 18th century with later additions. Features include the attached 2 storey barn with 18th century pegged “A” frame roof and stone slates on the eaves. The Church Rates book records that James Millett was responsible for paying the rates for “Mr Harford’s Shaw Farm in 1797.” By 1839 the farmhouse was under the ownership of Elizabeth Harland and occupied by Henry Millett. He remained at Shawford until his death in 1863. After that the farm was occupied for short periods by John Gunning, Arthur Tucker and then William Noad. By 1889 Simon Windell and his large family were farming here and they continued until 1935. Then John Cray took over the farm, and from 1939 to 1958 it was Edward John Noad Cray.

Above: Extract from 1894 Ordnance Survey map, showing location of Shawford Farm
20 March 2024
Last Updated
20 March 2024