Rode Village History
extract from A History of Brewing in Rode by Sidney Fussell and Brian Foyston, 2006
23. The Three Horseshoes: We have several pieces of evidence of this. On 6th June 1837 the occupier, Jeremiah Francis, reported to the local Comptroller of Excise (see Para. 16 above) that he had a Brewhouse with one Mash Tun, two Store Rooms for Brewing and storing of Beer, Ale, Porter, and Cider for sale, a room for Malt and Hops and one for storing Tobacco, all for sale (The Brewhouse was in the Yard behind the House). In the 1841 Census the occupant was William Paxton/Puxton, a Blacksmith. By 1846 the occupier was Mary Ann Paxton/Puxton and in that year she made an Entry similar to that made previously by William, her deceased husband, but adding that the two store rooms adjoined one another and faced the Bar. the first (for Tobacco) being with the Bar. The Malt and Hop Room was on the left of the entrance. The 1851 Census describes Mary Ann as a "Retailer of Beer". In the first of these two Censuses the Inn is listed between "Gunston's Barton" (a Barton being a farm or enclosure) and Nutt's Lane; in the second it is listed between "Poorhouse Lane" and Gunston's Barton (Poorhouse Lane, also sometime called "Union Cottage Lane", is our modern Marsh Road). So the Three Horseshoes was clearly somewhere in the Marsh Road, Nutt's Lane area, perhaps in the quadrant between the two. Has any reader any further knowledge? The Church Rate Books of 1859, 1862 and 1870 show the occupier as John Noad but the latter two describe the property as "House and Garden, late Three Horseshoes". This John Noad, incidentally, was not the one whose daughter married into the Fussell family (for that John Noad was Secretary of the Temperance Society!) but we know from an old rhyme that "...there was a long John Noad and a short John Noad..."
We now know that Gunston’s Barton/Lane was what is now called Cheap Street. This supports the view that the Three Horseshoes was near the junction of Nutts Lane and Marsh Road. Perhaps it was a reuse of the White Hart Inn under a different name.
Also the Church Rate Books for the whole period from 1856 to 1870 list John Noad as the occupier of a “House and Garden” called “Three Horseshoes/late Three Horseshoes".